Home' Snap Shot Magazine : March 2012 Contents Prepare for the colder weather
Autumn is here. The leaves are starting to fall
from trees, days are getting shorter and the
weather is cooling.
Now is the time to prepare for even colder months
ahead and there is plenty to be done around the home,
both inside and out.
Here are a few ideas to ensure that your home is in
good order for the colder months.
• Heavy curtains - up to 40 per cent of heat escaping
from a house in winter is from uncovered windows.
Use heavy lined curtains that extend below the
window frame to insulate the window and keep in
• Rooms not in use - close off any rooms that are not in use
which helps confine heat to the rooms that are in use.
• Sunshine - let the sunshine in. If you have north
facing windows, open up the curtains to let the sun
heat up your house.
• Windows - Be sure to replace or repair any broken
window locks and latches. While doing this make sure
all windows open and close properly in case of fire.
• Safety - make sure all smoke detectors are working
with fresh batteries, test your security alarm and
make sure all external entrances are lit by a motion
• Be prepared - It is good to have spare batteries,
torches, matches and candles in the house in case of
• Insulation - A well insulated house can use as much
as 45 per cent less energy than a house without
insulation. Consider installing ceiling insulation or
topping up old, thinning insulation.
• Seal it - Cold air entering from cracks and gaps can
account for 15 to 25 per cent of heat loss in your
home. Consider weather stripping around doors and
windows, gap filler for cracks in walls or a simple
door snack will help.
• Leaves - Autumn brings colour to any garden, but it
also brings leaf foliage in gutters. Clear debris and
check for rust and blockages, which can cause
flooding. It is best to do this a few times during
autumn. Consider replacing old guttering sooner
rather than later because it could lead to damage
inside your home.
• Mortar joints - Check on the exterior of the house for
any signs of movement.
• Piping hot - Insulate external hot water pipes with
insulation tape to reduce heat loss from the hot
water tank to taps.
• Hot air - Get your heater serviced professionally to
ensure it runs efficiently. Keep heaters free of dust
and clean filters regularly.
• Chimney sweep - If you have an open fire be sure to
have it inspected and cleaned by a professional.
• Pool - prepare your pool for the cold. Test chlorine
levels, scrub walls and floors, vacuum the entire pool
and empty the pump's lint basket, clean the filter and
add a secure pool cover to keep out debris.
• Garden - Autumn is the best time to fertilise your
lawn to ensure it remains healthy during the colder
months. Rake up fallen leaves and debris to prevent
suffocation and bare spots on your lawn. Prune
shrubs and trim back tree branches away from the
house and have dead branches or
WORDS JACKIE MEYERS
Unit 11 Sherwood Avenue, BOWRAL
Phone (02) 4861 3666
Fax (02) 4862 1817
We supply and fix all
quality tiles, pavers,
porcelian, marble and all
Links Archive February 2012 April 2012 Navigation Previous Page Next Page